Thursday, July 11, 2013

Stage My Home: Clean Up! {Week 1}

Charleston's real estate market is picking up speed again and I'm guessing yours is too! Since our 1 year anniversary in our new home just passed, I'm starting to get the 1 year itch. You know what helps it? Looking at terrible real estate listings! Home Staging is an extremely important part of the selling process that FAR TOO MANY homeowners overlook. That's why every Thursday you will find me here, helping you along... And for those of you not selling/buying, I hope you still find some inspiration for your own home and maybe a few laughs. Oh and a bonus beautiful home at the end!
 

The absolute, number one, most annoying, makes my head spin pet peeve I have about real estate listings is the number of people who list dirty homes. I don't mean you haven't deep cleaned your baseboards in the last year (guilty here!), I mean you can't even be bothered to put away dirty clothes and organize the room a little bit before snapping a picture.


Or $100K or $2M or however much you're selling for and it isn't two dollars. Most people are searching all over the internet to find a home that meets their needs and hopefully even makes their heart skip a beat or two at first site. If this is the first thing they see, you have lost them!

via Charleston Real Estate Guide
Dear Homeowner, You have more laundry room space than I can even imagine and cabinets for stuff! Clean your crap up!!!

You just told all potential buyers-

1. Slobs live here. Any last hope that they were the clean-your-baseboards type is gone.
2. Maybe there really isn't that much room in this house. It's probably too small for me.
3. They must not be in a rush to sell their house. I'd rather negotiate with someone who does want to sell. Next!

via
Same home, same problem. Take all of your cute stuff off of the fridge, put the drop-everything bowl, mystery stack, and candles in another room. In fact, go ahead and remove that tea towel. And don't forget the coffee maker and any other large appliances- get them out of there. A few decor things around are okay, but you want it to be spotless for the most part. That's easy enough, right? :)

Now enough of the shameful MLS listings, I have a present for you. I love touring homes around Charleston and even have one planned in my near future. Until then, I like to oooh and aaaah at some of the best staged homes in Charleston...

You just need $6Million and you'll be set downtown! Go here to see even more gorgeous pictures of this house, including a closet the size of a bedroom!



So nice and clean! But be honest- you don't need $8Million to have a beautiful listing. Just take a few minutes before each picture to clear out the room a little. Think of it as breath freshener right before your party guests arrive. :D

2 comments:

  1. We JUST listed our house this week! Here's our story: http://www.brightgreendoor.com/2013/07/big-big-news.html

    I made a blog just to feature the pictures, here is the link:http://dickinsonhome.blogspot.com

    I wish I would have taken the grill cover off, organized the toy cubbies better, removed the laundry detergent from the laundry room counter, and wound up the hose next to the house! Live and learn right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is your place now and you're moving? or am i confused?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments really are the fuel bloggers run on. You are awesome. :)