Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Story: Becoming a Professional Blogger {Part One}

Oh yeah! I'm officially a full-time, professional blogger. You are my #o-uno work related care in the world. I love it!


My senior year of high school I had to make that dreaded decision- which college to accept?
It was College of Charleston (CofC) vs. Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) and I was torn in half. Short story- I chose CofC. CofC meant that I would be getting a Business degree with a minor in Political Science. I knew that from the moment I accepted. So my dreams of living a creative life, designing furniture, painting, and decorating were put to the side with SCAD. And I was okay with that and still stand by that decision, but it had its effects. Still, it was just another part of the process, the plan, life.

via (<- fantastic lifestyle blog, btw)

Fast forward to senior year of college, when I was first introduced to the Charleston Aerospace and Defense Industry. My eyes twinkled and heart skipped a beat- this is where I was meant to be. I was enamored with everything this industry had to offer from the smallest contract to the idea of working at the Pentagon.

As a senior with limited extra curricular activities besides wasting 4 years on a stupid boyfriend and an equally dull GPA, I was willing to work at the bottom of the bottom to prove my worthiness. I'm not a traditional-test-taking type of gal. I fail multiple choice every time. But give me a computer and some random new software everyone else is taking classes to learn- I'll be testing (applied knowledge tests) as an expert in an hour or two. I always knew I could prove myself, if I could just get my foot in the door.

So I set out on my job hunt before graduation. I knew every defense contracting company in a 30mi radius of Charleston. I even attempted to go door-to-door with my resume, which is near impossible since you can't get into most offices without badges and can only talk to the receptionist in the others. I joined all the defense related clubs and networked like there was no tomorrow.

Still, no dice. I broke down in August 2008 (3 months after graduation) and took a job as an assistant at an insurance agency. Gag me. It was awful, but it was something!

Lay-off One

Then in February 2009 I was laid-off a few days before Valentine's Day and my birthday. Either me or the office manager had to go and since she was the boss' girlfriend, I lost. ha.

After the most miserable 6 months of my life on unemployment, I got a job hostessing part-time for the restaurant that was going to cater our wedding.

So there I was hostessing downtown just 2 weeks before my impending nuptials. I don't think Kent and I brought home even $500/month between us. I was still applying to at least 10 defense jobs per week, calling anyone's number I could get, and attending all the networking events I could find. I was not the most scholarly candidate and these companies get to pick from the best!

Finally my break- September 2009- I overheard a diner talking about a company that I had just applied to that morning and I told his waiter to make him pay upfront. {so sneaky!}
I hurried to seat a table and ran back and took a chance, asking him if he worked for that company. He replied no and I was momentarily crushed. When I explained why I asked, he said the most amazing words I'll never forget... "Oh well you don't want to work for them! You want to work for Lockheed Martin!"

HOLY CRAPOLA!!! I had never even applied to a job at Lockheed. LM is the #1 defense contractor in the world. They get the top pickings of the world. I was in heaven.

We exchanged information and I literally jumped up and down through the restaurant squeeling. LOL. It just felt like such a break and like somehow this was my moment.

And it was, but it took a while. Contracts are up and down and it's a complicated industry to be a part of. So after much patience, I finally began working at my dream job in April 2010.

I loved working for Lockheed Martin. The Charleston office felt like a small, family business while still having all the perks of being a part of a large company.

Lay-off Two

But like I said- contracts are up and down and our project ended up with a different company a year and a half later. I was laid-off for the 2nd time. So to the new company I went. :( Thankfully still working on the same project with the same people.

Lay-off Three

From there it was pretty downhill. That project ended and I was essentially laid-off again. I found another project to work on (under the same company), but that went very downhill.

Lay-off Four

One day you're rearranging your life to travel for the project on no notice and the next minute you're being laid-off because the customer (i.e., the government) has changed the goals and you aren't needed now. This was by far the worst lay-off. It broke my heart. I'm not going to go into all of that though. So if you are counting... That makes 4 lay-offs in 4 years, or 3 in 2 years.

via

I was done! Cooked! Crispy! Turn me over! Put a fork in me! Ain't ever going back!

So in May of this year, I found myself back to where I was as a high school senior- Do I choose business or creativity? Thankfully, I'm choosing both this time around. I've postponed looking for a new job, partly because I don't even know what to do now.

I had a dream in college to work in IT (computers) for a big defense contractor and I was so blessed to have made that come true at such a young age. But now I have to let go of that dream and start building new ones.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams,
 live the life you've imagined.
- Henry David Thoreau

I'm choosing to do that with you. My blog readers. I love blogging because I get to network with so many different types of women and build my Shaklee business by helping families become healthier. Win! I'm able to spend more time with my boys and I even have time to workout now. This is what I've been yearning to do for the last year, but had been SO afraid of taking the plunge. As much as the last lay-off broke my heart, I know God is the one who orchestrated it. He knew I was too afraid so He gave me a BIG push!

I'll be back next Monday with Part Two: How I Monetized My Blog. This new dream I'm working on is amazing and I'm loving every minute of it, but it still comes with bills. :)

Now I really want to know- What is your dream? Have you ever reached a dream and then had to move on?

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo! So excited for you!!
    Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. excited for you. wish I had it as a job and got paid

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful post, Alison. Even though you've gone through some very difficult times, you'll never know the number of people that you've touched with your encouraging words. I don't think that I could have handled things as well as you have at such a young age. When you get to be as old as me, you really begin to realize how much you learned from your life experiences. God knows what He's doing and that's a fact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very proud of you Alison! I worked in corporate healthcare for 15 years after giving up my dreams of becoming a Nurse Anesthetist. And five years ago, I walked away from my VERY solid job after 15 years and went back to school (at 30 no less) to complete my degree. I truly believe in prayer and the plans God has for me. I am so excited for you! Trust me, it will NOT be easy, but it will be SO worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post! I'm currently a part-time lawyer, part-time blogger and I have my fingers crossed for the day I can go into blogging/consulting full-time. So inspiring!
    xx lexi @ glitter, inc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled on your blog by trying to figure out how to make a collage photo for my blog. Isn't google funny sometimes!

    Love your intro. I graduated in 2008 and know all too well the joys of the economy on college grads around that time.

    I will definitely be checking out more of your posts.

    Karen Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments really are the fuel bloggers run on. You are awesome. :)