Saturday, June 15, 2013

4 Lessons From 241yo Modern Design {Charleston Love}



 


Sometimes antique is actually modern. Or should I say, sometimes modern is actually antique. My mom and I visited the Heyward-Washington House in downtown Charleston, SC back in December. I was shocked by the beauty of this house. The pictures still surprise me. :) These are 4 instances where I don't mind history repeating itself...
4 lessons from 241 year old modern design.


1. Industrial is cool. This is the kitchen. Meals were cooked here and then brought into the house. I don't know more than that because I tend to think of tours as giant snooze-fests. I actually love history but I'm a reader and looker, not a listener.





2. Grow gardens, not lawns. Is this not gorgeous? There was some shrubbery (said in Monty Python voice), but most of them were edible plants.

 


(the window boxes are from down the street- I'll explain below)

3. Well designed wood never really goes out of style. The floors were so distressed from all the years. Close your eyes and imagine the thousands of different shoe styles that have stepped on them over 200+ years!



 
4. Herringbone is timeless and bold is beautiful. Um... I need these bricks in my backyard ASAP! And I love the hooks used on the windows. Not to mention the bold color!
 




BONUS: I couldn't resist taking pictures of the other homes in the area. These painted shutters are gorgeous!

Hello, inspiration.


What was your favorite part? Do you have any of these 241 year old designs in your home?

2 comments:

  1. love it. My fave was the pic of the garden. I wish I had a green thumb. Sadly me nor my mom do. We suck at planting flowers.


    http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/06/lets-get-real-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alison, I'm a new follower! Found you on the weekend hop! I really love your photos and the post-processing! I just followed your blog so I don't know if you already have a tutorial on post-processing, but I hope you can teach your readers how to edit like that one day :)

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo,
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments really are the fuel bloggers run on. You are awesome. :)